Cart and File Download
While browsing the GDC Data Portal, files can either be downloaded individually from file detail pages or collected in the file cart to be downloaded as a bundle. Clicking on the shopping cart icon that is next to any item in the GDC will add the item to your cart.
The cart page shows a summary of all files currently in the cart:
- Number of files
- Number of cases associated with the files
- Total file size
The Cart page also displays two tables:
- File count by project: Breaks down the files and cases by each project
- File count by authorization level: Breaks down the files in the cart by authorization level. A user must be logged into the GDC in order to download 'Controlled-Access files'
The cart also directs users how to download files in the cart. For large data files, it is recommended that the GDC Data Transfer Tool be used.
The Cart Items table shows the list of all the files that were added to the Cart. The table gives the folowing information for each file in the cart:
- Access: Displays whether the file is open or controlled access. Users must login to the GDC Portal and have the appropriate credentials to access these files.
- File Name: Name of the file. Clicking the link will bring the user to the file summary page.
- Cases: How many cases does the file contain. Clicking the link will bring the user to the case summary page.
- Project: The Project that the file belongs to. Clicking the link will bring the user to the Project summary page.
- Category: Type of data
- Format: The file format
- Size: The size of the file
- Annotations: Whether there are any annotations
There are a few buttons on the Cart page that allow users to download files. The following download options are available:
- Biospecimen: Downloads bioscpecimen data related to files in the cart in either TSV or JSON format.
- Clinical: Downloads clinical data related to files in the cart in either TSV or JSON format.
- Sample Sheet: Downloads a tab-separated file which contains the associated case/sample IDs and sample type for each file in the cart.
- Metadata: GDC harmonized clinical, biospecimen, and file metadata associated with the files in the cart.
- Download Manifest: Download a manifest file for use with the GDC Data Transfer Tool to download files. A manifest file contains a list of the UUIDs that correspond to the files in the cart.
- Download Cart: Download the files in the Cart directly through the browser. Users have to be cautious of the amount of data in the cart since this option will not optimize bandwidth and will not provide resume capabilities.
- SRA XML, MAGE-TAB: This option is available in the GDC Legacy Archive only. It is used to download metadata files associated with the files in the cart.
The cart allows users to download up to 5 GB of data directly through the web browser. This is not recommended for downloading large volumes of data, in particular due to the absence of a retry/resume mechanism. For downloads over 5 GB we recommend using the GDC Data Transfer Tool.
Note: when downloading multiple files from the cart, they are automatically bundled into one single Gzipped (.tar.gz) file.
GDC Data Transfer Tool
Download Manifest button will download a manifest file that can be imported into the GDC Data Transfer Tool. Below is an example of the contents of a manifest file used for download:
id filename md5 size state 4ea9c657-8f85-44d0-9a77-ad59cced8973 mdanderson.org_ESCA.MDA_RPPA_Core.mage-tab.1.1.0.tar.gz 2516051 live b8342cd5-330e-440b-b53a-1112341d87db mdanderson.org_SARC.MDA_RPPA_Core.mage-tab.1.1.0.tar.gz 4523632 live c57673ac-998a-4a50-a12b-4cac5dc3b72e mdanderson.org_KIRP.MDA_RPPA_Core.mage-tab.1.2.0.tar.gz 4195746 live 3f22dd8d-59c8-43a4-89cf-3b595f2e5a06 14-3-3_beta-R-V_GBL1112940.tif 56df0e4b4fc092fc3643bd2e316ac05b 6257840 live 7ce05059-9197-4d38-830f-04356f5f851a 14-3-3_beta-R-V_GBL11066140.tif 6abfee483974bc2e61a37b5499ae9a07 6261580 live 8e00d22a-ca6f-4da8-a1c3-f23144cb21b7 14-3-3_beta-R-V_GBL1112940.tif 56df0e4b4fc092fc3643bd2e316ac05b 6257840 live 96487cd7-8fa8-4bee-9863-17004a70b2e9 14-3-3_beta-R-V_GBL1112940.tif 56df0e4b4fc092fc3643bd2e316ac05b 6257840 live
Information on the GDC Data Transfer Tool is available in the GDC Data Transfer Tool User's Guide.
Individual Files Download
Similar to the files page, each row contains a download button to download a particular file individually.
If a user tries to download a cart containing controlled files and without being authenticated, a pop-up will be displayed to offer the user either to download only open access files or to login into the GDC Data Portal through eRA Commons. See Authentication for details.